Monday 9 November 2015

Book review : The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman


As autumn is definitely my favorite season for cuddling up in an oversized sweater with a cup of tea and a good book, that is exactly what I've spent my time with these past days. 
Never would I have thought, though, that I would discover a book as special as this!

I've read this book in German but I can only imagine the English version to be even better!
A middle-aged man returns to his childhood home and is drawn to the farm at the end of the road where, when he was seven, he encountered a most remarkable girl and her mother and grandmother. As he sits by the pond ­behind the ramshackle old house, the unremembered past comes flooding back—a past too strange, too frightening, too dangerous to have happened to anyone, let alone a small boy.

It seems almost impossible to write a summary for this book. You don't wanna spoil it by saying too much, and this novel is so beautifully poetical, so wonderfully fantastic, that each word could be too much. It doesn't happen often that I'm sad a story is over once I've finished reading it, but it was definitely the case with this book! I would love to just take it and read it again but unfortunately you can only really read a book for the first time once.. 

The seven year old boy, the story teller whose name we, the readers, never get to know, tells us the story from his perspective. So we are very close to him and get to feel all the emotions first hand.
It think that is it, what makes this little boy who's living in books so authentic and lively. 
He get's to know the girl "Lettie" who lives together with her mother, and her mother's mother, in a farm at the end of the lane. They are very loveable, but also strange people. 

And then things start happening that are so incredible they totally fall out of any reality. 
The little boy is often scared and I would have done nothing more than to hug him while reading this book. The style of writing is just as fantastic as the story itself – I don't want to tell you more because I don't wanna take the magic of reading this book for the first time away for anyone.

This book definitely deserves 5 out of 5 stars, the title of my new favorite book, and a recommendation to read this for everyone, who loves to dream and isn't scared of strange and extraordinary stories. This book absolutely put a spell on me and I'm pretty sure I will reread it more than once! It's a book that you can always discover something new in, a book that invites us to linger and just get soaked up in it's magic. 

What was the best book you recently read? 

xx Micky

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. It sounds like a nice book. Maybe I could read this for my book project next time ^__^

    Linxnee-Beauty, Fashion, Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely worth a read! I absolutely loved it <3

      Delete
  2. I purchased this book two years ago, but never got the chance to read it, so now it's been sitting in my car without being touched. I've heard so many amazing things about it, but I just got too busy with school and work that it became forgotten :/ Thank you for reminding it that it's a must read! I'm excited to begin reading it soon~

    http://stressedbutkawaii.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth the read! One book that I definitely haven't regretted buying! <3

      Delete

© Princess.From.Jupiter. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig